Monday, October 26, 2009

To Be, Or Not To Be Nervous


I was once again called on to lend my voice talents to the Workhouse Arts Center this past Sunday, this time for an art show. The show featured donated artwork paired with poems that were inspired by the artwork, and vice versa. Most of the poets who donated their work were there to read their poems for the show. A few weren't able to make it for the show. So, I, along with my good friend Caren, was asked to read their poems. We were also asked to read a few poems by Scott Lange Kirkpatrick, the inspiration behind the event. Scott, who was killed in Iraq, was very much into poetry. His mother Marti, who is also the Studio Manager for the Workhouse, created the event to honor him and to raise money for the Yellow Ribbon Fund, a charity that helps injured soldiers and their families.


Now, I've said this before, I don't get most poetry, so I was very nervous about doing this. Fortunately, a few days before, Marti sat down with me and explained the pieces and coached me a little on delivery. After taking it home and putting myself into the poems, I was able to read them aloud.


With a room full of poets and aficionados, I was a little intimidated. But, I guess I did OK, because I actually got a bunch of compliments on my readings. One of the poets even said that I should have read all the poems. I chuckled and thanked him, of course. But, inside I'm thinking, "Nooooo waaaaay!" Evidently, I read so well that most of the people who complimented me were very surprised when I revealed that I had never read poetry aloud for an audience before. Gee, I guess all those years reciting that Bru Bear monologue came in handy.

2 comments:

Ron Curameng said...

I think it would have been fitting to recite:
"My baby left me fo anudda man...
Cill da landlord
Cill da landlord
I lost my job cuz of "da man"...
Cill da landlord
C-I-L-L..Cill da landlord."

Antonio said...

That Ron is a Sheakespeare.