Did you know that yours truly once had a fear of old white women? Yes, it's true.
One day as a kid, my mom and I were crossing S. Washington St. in Old Town Alexandria. We had been shopping, so I was carrying a bag. I didn't realize it, but evidently while crossing the street, I accidentally bumped the older white woman next to me with the bag. All of a sudden, I felt something hit my arm. I turned and saw that the woman had hit me with her pocket book.
So, what's so scary about that? Well, after my mom calmly called the woman out for hitting me, the old white woman threatened us. "How dare you hit me! You did that on purpose. I have a son and he's big! I'm gonna call him and have him beat you up!"
For the next year or so, every time I'd see an older white woman, I would be scared that it would be her, and that she would have her big son with her to beat me up.
S'hard. Might' hard, growing up a young black lad.
6 comments:
I remember when I was a kid that my mom came home with a few bags of groceries and was very upset. She demanded that I go beat up a black kid and his mom, who she just encountered. I think the story was a little different than you presented it, Antonio.
Mom told me that you smacked her in the knees with a loaf of French bread (the hard and crusty kind). Then you proceeded to hold her on the ground and take her wallet while your mother cheered you on and called my mom "Honkey, white bitch". Mom said that she could accept that but what really got her mad was when you relieved yourself in her Jackie Kennedy hat. Come on, Antonio, what's up with that?
That afternoon when I searched the streets for the mother and son who "teamed" my mom all I could think about was how much I hated that hat of hers. Just think, we could have been friends many years ago.
I know that's not technically funny, but the way you told it has me cracking up. I hope that you can some day get over your fear of old white ladies. I would hate to think that you would ever be afraid of me when I get old! Bless your heart.
Cill da Ole White Lady!
Cill da Ole White Lady!
C-I-L-L..Cill da Ole White Lady!
Sad, and oh so funny!
That Jim cracks me up! Jim, I think we need to combine our blogs because you always have the best responses to my posts. It's kinda like a morning zoo radio show.
Krissy, I think it is technically funny. I still laugh every time I think of it. And I think you're going to be one hot old momma!
Eddie Murphy and got nothin' on me, Ron.
Jill, it makes me smile to think of you laughing at my posts.
Don't worry, Charlotte has retired.
Post a Comment