Monday, September 14, 2009

My Beautiful Hood

This past spring, I rediscovered a gem. When I was younger, I happened to be walking when stumbled on this park that I had no idea existed. I decided to take a look, but I didn't like it very much because it just seemed like a bunch of flowers to me. Being a young lad at the time, that didn't interest me at all.

Fast forward to the present, I happened to be on my morning walk near my house, when I remembered that park. Wondering if the park was still there, I decided to go and see, especially since it's location is only a few blocks from me.

Well, Green Spring Garden Park was still there. Although, it was nothing like I remembered. . . probably because I'm a lot more mature now. Anyway, it's this great park that's dedicated to gardening education. You can even go to the parks website and see information and care instructions on every breed of plant life they have at the park.

Of course, since I got a new camera, I had to take pictures. That first one is the entrance.
This is the pedestrian path leading into the park, and a random plant that I love because it's so huge.


There are two main areas to the park. These pics are of the lake area. There are two lakes that are separated by a bridged path and a gazebo.




To get to the other main area of the park, there is a trail that winds through the woods.


The other main section is an open area with a bricked path that circles the park.



The park has a horticultural center where you can learn about gardening. All of the plant life is labeled for reference.


They also have various fruit trees, and vegetable and herb gardens.


Here are a couple of shots of the beautiful landscaping.


And finally, the back entrance to the park.

2 comments:

Joey said...

I discovered this park many years ago- a hidden secret behind the Salvation Army store on 236. It is worth the trip!

Ron Curameng said...

I remember this park too. I thought I was the only one who knew about it...Damn it!