Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Geocaching

I found a Geocache yesterday.

If you've never heard of Geocaching, it's a game similar to a scavenger hunt where, using a GPS locator, you find "treasures" hidden around the world. Basically, you go to the Geocaching website and search for a cache in your area (or any area around the world). Once you choose a cache, you go to it's page and figure out the GPS coordinates using clues given. Then you actually go to the area that the coordinates take you and follow clues to find the hidden cache.

There are many types of caches. The most fun are the traditional caches because they are usually containers with fun "treasures" in them. Once you find one, you take one of the treasures and leave a treasure of your own. You can also go back to the website, and see who else has found it and leave a note in the log to show that you found it.

I found one while on my daily walk through a park near my house. I had to laugh at my self because as I approached the coordinates, I started getting nervous. And once I found it, I was so excited that my heart was pounding. I've been Geocaching before, but this time was exciting because it was the first traditional one I found. The last one I found, with my good friend Joey, was a virtual one, which usually refers you to either a special location or a fact-finding cache.

If you haven't done it before, check out the website. It's a lot of fun, it's a great family outing, it can be great exercise, and they are hidden all over the world. You'd be surprised at how many there actually are, and how close to you they may be.

5 comments:

Jill Ruemke Schmidt said...

Ahhh! How nice! Except is this some sort of strategy to keep the weaker contestants in the game? I'm enjoying your revived blog.

Antonio said...

Jill, I don't think of you as a weaker contestant. All you have to do is keep posting pictures of those beautiful children of yours and you'll be fine.

I wish I had some pretty blond children of my own to post pictures of. lol

Mary said...

That does sound really fun only I don't have a gps. Probably by the time I get one the kids will be grown which is always the case.

Antonio said...

I've found that GPS receivers aren't cheap. The lowest price I found for a handheld one was $70 and as high as $350. I don't actually have one myself, but I found this one using the Windows Live Local website. You can actually put in the satellite coordinates in the address field and it will pinpoint it on a satellite map. And from that point, I was familiar enough with the park to follow the clues and find it.

Mary said...

Oh! So there is hope! Cool.