Saturday, August 26, 2006

The Road To College

Today was a sad but happy day.

My mom, my grandmother, my aunt, and I drove my sister to the beautiful campus of Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, VA for her freshman year. It was a little rough because of course, like most teenagers going off to college, she has not been away from home for any extended length of time. As she occasionally broke down, I tried to joke with her to take her mind off of the situation, but it was hard because it broke me up to see her in that state. Even now as I type this, I get a little teary eyed. Best of luck sis'.

My sister isn't a Mennonite and isn't majorly religious, but there was something about the school that really attracted her. I got to meet some of the students as well as her roommate and her roommate's parents. They were all some of the nicest people I've ever met. And, you could definitely feel the Christianity in the air. I heard about a church retreat and was left with a "God bless" as I left the campus. None of it bothers me. Believe me, I can pass among the Christians. I grew up going to church every Sunday. The only thing that shook me was when my sister's roommate's mother asked me how many children I had at home. Perfectly innocent question, but for some reason I was taken aback by it.

Today was also a chance for a beautiful drive. I love driving long distances. Especially a nice scenic route. And you can't get much more scenic in this area than I 66 and I 81. Here's a few shots I took from my car.

2 comments:

Jim Lawson said...

My Dear Friend Antonio - I hope that your sister has a wonderful and rewarding time at school. It sounds like she is in a great atmosphere to learn more than just what's in books.

Next, I have taken it as a compliment that you vied for me to get booted. That's right, get rid of the best competiton first??? Good luck my worthy compatriot!

Antonio said...

I will admit that I am a little intimidated by the great creative mind of the actormann.

Hey, think of it like Clinton and Dole. They are great friends even though they ran against eachother.

Best of luck to you too sir. Maybe after this race is over, I'll treat you to a steak over on Amherst Ave.