In The Shop Again
Well, I have a new unofficial second job. For the past few weeks, I've been helping my good friend Tom build sets for Theater J on my days off. I'm so thrilled to be doing something theater related again. It's been a couple of years since I've had anything to do with the behind the scenes of theater. Eh. . . get it. . . behind the "scenes". . . theaters perform plays and musicals that have scenes. . . funny, eh. . . eh. . . eh. . . oh, anyway. I used to build sets with Tom at the West End until I took a day job. You know, benefits and all that good stuff. Well, the original "Set Shop Boys" are back together again.
I did mention to Tom this past week that I don't get nearly as fatigued building sets now as I did ten years ago at the West End. I think it's because in those days, we used what I like to call "semi-primitive" tools. When we made platforms and such, we had to stand bent over and drive nails with hammers. By the end of the day, I would feel it in my back and hands and arms. In Tom's current shop, we get to use pneumatic tools. Now I can drive nails with the squeeze of a trigger. I love it.
Now, if only we could get some air conditioning in the shop.
3 comments:
It's weird but, it's starting to look like the West End shop.
So you like "squeezin' the trigger"??? I knew you would.
Well...It's about time the Big Black Man is back in the Sweat Shop
Post a Comment