I came across an interesting article online about drive-thru workers being outsourced. Evidently, the fast food chain Jack In The Box has been using call centers to take drive-thru orders at some of their Charlotte, NC locations.
Confused? Basically, you drive up to Jack... You get to the drive-thru menu board. A voice greets you over the speaker. It's an operator in Texas. . . (at least, that's where the company claims their operators are located). You place your order. The operator sends it to the restaurant. The restaurant fills the order. Got it? Good! Now, here's my question. . . Why?
According to Jack..., it's meant to "improve speed, accuracy and service, freeing up restaurant employees to process orders, accept payment and address other needs." I guess I don't understand why you would need that person at a totally different location as opposed to at the restaurant itself. And, fast food workers don't make that much money, so I don't see a cost advantage. And, what happens if the restaurant screws up your order? Does the operator fix it.
Imagine driving up to your favorite fast food joint and hearing a voice over the intercom saying, "Welcome to [insert restaurant here]. We are currently experiencing high vehicle volume. Please remain in your car. Your order will be taken in the order received."
5 comments:
Okay...I've stayed in Charlotte, NC for a month gig and I HATED IT! The place lives on banker's hours because it's a bankers town. Everything closes around 5pm. Even the strip clubs....uh...At least...that is what I heard.
I'm NOT surprised they would do something that stupid. I think those calls centers are coming from Asia..Like the Philippines.
That is so strange. I don't get it. I'm going to go hit happy hour at Chuck E. Cheese.
Jill, don't get into any fights there.
HAHAHAHAHAHA!
How strange! The southerners sure are strange!
Post a Comment