This morning I did something I haven't done in a long time. I commuted to work using public transportation, specifically, the Metro. It felt so official. I used a Smartrip card. I stood to the right on the escalator. I moved to the center of the car when I boarded. I even refrained from wearing any cologne so as not to bother my fellow passengers.
Observations:
- The train ride seems a lot rougher than I remember.
- I guess people are way used to the whole train commute thing. Everybody looked like drones. It was interesting watching people on the platform and on the train, and watching people board.
- What's the use of having the PA system on the train? I couldn't hear a damn thing, it was so faint. At one point, the train stopped while in the tunnel for about five minutes. I have no idea why because I couldn't hear the conductor who gave some sort of explanation at the point that we stopped. The first few cars of the train could have been on fire, but I wouldn't know.
So, you're probably wondering why I took the subway to work today. Well, it's because my baby broke down on me. On the way back from Atlantic City, I started hearing a funny sound from under the hood. Then, this past Sunday, as I was pulling onto my street, the car started grinding and whining as I tried to turn and the steering put up a lot of resistance. Fortunately, I was home.
The car is now in the shop. My power steering pump died because some part that is attached to and works in conjunction with it stripped and broke off. That part is some odd part that the shop doesn't have. Neither does any of the Hyundai dealerships in the area. So, they had to order it. They don't expect it for about three days. All in all, this whole thing is costing me several hundred dollars and a week with no car.
Oh, by the way. As I was waiting in my driveway for my brother to pick me up and drive me to the Metro station this morning, some damn bird crapped on me. Ugh! I know that's supposed to be good luck, but right now, nothing could be farther from the truth.
2 comments:
I did the commuter thing when I was working at the Smithsonian. It wasn't too bad. I just hated the fact I still had to drive in traffic to the Huntington Station, pay for parking, pay for my card and walk 2 to 3 blocks. It was annoying.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY...
Post a Comment