Thursday, March 01, 2007

Black History Month

I'm sorry I'm just getting around to posting this, but I've been thinking about this all month and wanted to make sure I worded it just right.

My friends who have known me for a while know that for years I would stress the whole "Black History Month" thing and would even have them research black history facts to "educate" each other. Well, I've kind of soured on the whole thing.

I feel like the whole idea of Black History Month makes us seem like some sort of special race. I don't mean special in a good way. I mean special in that all of our accomplishments have to be pointed out only during some special time of the year. And I think that it separates us from other races. At what point does "Black History" become just "History" without the implied asterisk.

Now don't get me wrong. I appreciate everything that my ancestors did. The struggles for freedom, the many important inventions, opening the doors for an average Joe. . . no . . . an average Tyrone like me to be able to express my opinions openly. This is just something that I've always had in the back of my head. Until recently, when I heard someone else mention the same thing, I thought I was the only one.

So that's the explanation Lori. And I'm sure that there are some who would disagree with me. But hey, this would be one boring world if everyone agreed with each other.

7 comments:

Jill Ruemke Schmidt said...

In schools, it does give a dedicated time to look at some history and amazing people that sadly wouldn't be found in the curriculum otherwise. I guess that may be where the change should be generated, to integrate this into school curriculum as opposed to having a "special" month. Kids are excited, though, to have a special time to share about heritage. We have "Cesar Chavez" day here in So. CA that we celebrate, but we could really use an Hispanic History month here. So many kids would like to share and celebrate. Our textbooks are still so general and heavy with Western European and White American History. Slowly changing...

Antonio said...

I don't think I would mind Black History Month as much if there were also other history focused months like Latino, Native American, or Asian History months. Of course if you did that, you'd have to change Black History Month so that we didn't have the shortest. lol

Lori said...

I hear you Antonio. However, you prompted me to do a small bit of research in an effort to make you feel a tiny bit better about black history month being "special." So far I have found in addition to Black History Month (Feb) we have Women's History Month (March) Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15-October 15) Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (May) Jewish American Heritage Month (also May) and National American Indian Heritage Month (November.) Let' see, that leaves January, April, June, July, August, part of September and October for white man's months! :)

Lori said...

wait a minute. Why do the jews and the asians have to share a month? What is up with that??? At least black history month is just black history month. Or is it? I must do more research!

Antonio said...

You know, I've actually heard of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month (thanks to Ron C.) and Hispanic Heritage Month (thanks to Jill).

Maybe African American Heritage Month would be a better idea. I don't know.

Jill Ruemke Schmidt said...

Very interesting, all of the celebratory months we have. I question why Hispanic Heritage Month is really parts of 2 months. What is that about? Interesting topic. In school, though, I do like the push to focus on events that aren't a part of the traditional written US History, however we may do that.

Antonio said...

Maybe one day they'll just put it all in our history books. Of course, then history class would probably have to be divided into like three separate courses to cover everything.

I have to say, I've enjoyed discussing this topic. And it was great having Jill's teacher's perspective and Lori's research. Thanks!