I had the privilege of seeing "The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee" at the National Theatre this past Tuesday. I have to say, what a fun show.I'm sure you all have heard of this show, but for those who haven't, it's a very funny parody of local spelling bees. The show includes many a funny one liners, some improv, and also incorporates a lot of current topics including comic references to lead paint in China and J K Rawlings' Dumbledore is gay revelation. They also bring preselected volunteers onstage who actually have to spell words to stay onstage.
Now, here's the bad part. Man, that National Theatre was not meant for the big or tall man. The seats are so small and the rows are so close together. I'm not all that tall, but my legs were pressed up against the row in front of me. Luckily, there was no one sitting in the seats in front of me and the seat next to me was empty, so I could stretch out.So, in conclusion, I'd like to say, if you're looking for a fun evening with a fun show, head on over and check it out. It's playing there through Nov. 4th. Go see it now! That's N - O - W!
4 comments:
I was just visiting SVA in NYC w/Lisa and initially sat in a seat like that. I'm 5'4" for christ sake and my knees were in my throat. What's up w/that. I moved. There was no way I could do that. No way.
Antonio - I'm glad for you that you had the time to take from your busy schedule to see a show! Forum closes Sunday, you bastard.
Do you happen to know who was conducting that day? My roommate's boyfriend, Randy Cohen, often conducts that show (when he isn't conducting "Wicked").
Unfortunately, I don't know who was conducting. It was some woman. I actually didn't even realize that there was an orchestra onstage until about three songs from the end. I couldn't see them from where I was sitting.
Post a Comment