I went out and got some culture this past Saturday night at the Black Rock Center For The Arts in beautiful Germantown, MD. Andi happened to score some comps for the Washington Theatre Group's production of the play "Dirt", so she and I went.
It was. . . interesting. It was a one man play about an illegal immigrant in 1992 Germany who confronts the xenophobia, racism, and ethnocentrism of Western society, all the while, dealing with his own identity as an Iraqi.
It had some engaging moments. It also had some moments that left me saying, "Huh?" I didn't love it, but I also didn't think it was bad either. I thought the actor, Shahin Shakibi, did a good job with the script.
I've come to a conclusion, though. Plays are hard for me. I kept expecting the guy to break into a song. I guess I've gotten too used to musical theater. You know how they say "all the world's a stage"? Well for me, all the world's a musical.
It was. . . interesting. It was a one man play about an illegal immigrant in 1992 Germany who confronts the xenophobia, racism, and ethnocentrism of Western society, all the while, dealing with his own identity as an Iraqi.It had some engaging moments. It also had some moments that left me saying, "Huh?" I didn't love it, but I also didn't think it was bad either. I thought the actor, Shahin Shakibi, did a good job with the script.
I've come to a conclusion, though. Plays are hard for me. I kept expecting the guy to break into a song. I guess I've gotten too used to musical theater. You know how they say "all the world's a stage"? Well for me, all the world's a musical.
3 comments:
I have NEVER seen you break out into song and dance to help understaand what you are feeling or thinking. You need to step in up and start singing!
That's interesting because I guess I am REALLY like that too expecting everyone to break into song. BEFORE...I never quit understood that an emotion could be so strong that one would have to sing. BUT now...It's easy to apply. In the same note, I do like seeing str8 plays to see if an actor could solely do without singing. ;)
I feel the same way when making love. I don't understand how someone cannot break into song during certain acts.
Post a Comment