Hey, guess what! I did my first professional voiceover this past Tuesday. Here's the background. Someone wrote a poem for the Lorton Arts Foundation's Workhouse Arts Center about the conversion of the prison into an arts complex. The foundation decided to have the poem recorded and put onto a video montage of the conversion. The montage would be presented during the grand opening this month. Well, they wanted someone with a deep booming voice to record the poem. Know anyone like that?Now, I've done voiceovers and announcing before, but they were all kind of fun unofficial projects, like the Miss Dinner Theatre pageants and some of the fine claymations over at Janoose Productions.
The whole experience was a little nerve-wracking for me. Mostly because. . . well. . . I just don't get poetry. I get and appreciate the art form, but it all seems like a long roundabout way to get a point across. I was worried that, not only am I not getting this poem, but that it would come across in my reading of it. Fortunately, I had Joey there who did a decent job of interpreting the poem and using his directing talents to guide me.
What's also cool is that they also asked me if I'd be willing to compose some music to underscore the montage. Well, I said yes, despite the fact that I haven't composed anything since before the West End closed.
And now, a confession. That picture above. Totally posed. lol
11 comments:
Good for you Antonion. The picture posed? Really? I thought that maybe the poem was written in a Microsoft Excel format! :)
Why thank you Krissy. And you heyelped. Thanks for the use of your keyboard.
". . . poem was written in a Microsoft Excel format!" Krissy, you are HIGHlarious. What you're actually seeing is the accessibility seating guide from work.
Shit. Another voice over talent for me to contend with.
But Jim, you are the man.
My goal is to be "The Voice Of The Workhouse". I'm imagining something like that voice at the Potomac Mills doors. "You are passing through building twelve. Thank you for visiting The Workhouse." lol
Looking good, Antonio! Now, where can we hear the poem?
Antonio did a fine job of interpreting the poem via music (with very little direction) and the voice-over (with only a bit of direction)- he's a great talent, and we are lucky to have incorporated his many talents (he forgot to mention that he has helped us with a lot of construction, drywall, painting, and generally moving a lot of heavy $&t from one pile to another.
I am glad to have him as a friend, and I hope that he will remain so through the next few months (!!)
When the video is done, I will make certain that Antonio will have access to post it on his blog.
Joey
Well bless yo' heart Joey.
Hey Antonio, that is so cool. I can't wait to hear it!
I totally forgot about the keyboard!
Was the Prison Poem much like the Eddie Murphy Poem:
My Bitch left me and I's no place to go...Cill da Landlord, Cill da Landlord.
My dog died on da kitchen flo...Cill da landlord, Cill da landlord.
My homie shot me up with some bad dope...Cill da landlord, Cill da landlord...
C...I...L...L...Cill da landlord.
WOW...maybe it's time to quit your day job! Great job by both you and Joey! Seems like just yesterday we were there freezing while trying to get me in the tight red dress! LOL
Post a Comment