Monday, February 23, 2009

Dat Boy Funny

Andi and I enjoyed an evening out at one our favorite fun spots, the DC Improv, to see the very funny John Witherspoon. Noooo, not the representative who signed the Declaration Of Independence. I'm talking about the comedian/actor known for his appearences in movies such as Friday, House Party, and Fatal Instinct, the TV show The Wayans Brothers, and one of the Eastern Motors commercials (below).

As always, we had a great time. John Witherspoon is very funny, not only for his comedy routine, but for the character he plays. For those not familiar with him, John is known for wearing loud, old man outfits, that usually consist of bright colored pants held up with a white belt, a plaid or polka-dot shirt, and a bright bowtie. He's also known for often eating soul food and licking his fingers in most of his roles.

My only problem with the evening was at the end. Normally after the shows at the Improv, the comedians will hang out in the lobby and sign autographs and take pictures. However, Mr. Witherspoon ended his act by letting us know that we could line up at the left edge of the stage where we could pose for a Polaroid picture with him that we could then purchase, along with an autographed pictured holder, for $15.

That upset me a little because I would have thought that he'd be at a level where he wouldn't have to worry about peddling pictures. I'm hoping that maybe he does that to keep better control of his image and/or to keep crowds at bay.

4 comments:

Jim Lawson said...

So, where's your picture with him?

Antonio said...

Jim, I spent the cash I had in my pocket on parking. Although, I'm not sure, even if I had the money, that I would have paid for a picture.

Ron Curameng said...

I loved him in Boomerang

Joey said...

Let your readers know that I am available for pictures at only $14 each.