My buddy sent me an interesting link to the website The Root. You know I run a pretty light-hearted blog, but I find this topic very interesting. Check it out.
Now, if that opinion piece sounds familiar, it's because I posted a similar opinion here on BruDog Haven last year. BTW, it generated quite the discussion on the comments board.
3 comments:
I heard an editorial by a black man earlier this month saying that Black History Month was over and it was a good thing.
I'm thinking you missed your calling as a columnist. Well, who is going to be the crazy politician who recommends ending black history month?
Antonio---My, my, my, my, my, my....I'm surprised! In fact, I am a bit taken back by it!
The whole point to Black History Month, Hispanic Heritage Month, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, Native American Heritage Month, Women's History Month and even Gay Pride are to install pride in our children of the minority and awareness for others to learn about the cultures that make up the melting pot called, the United States of America. When Obama won the presidency, my father wrote all of us "Curamengs" the meaning of what this election meant to him and my mother with tears of joys and the years of hardship and prejudice they can put behind them. Yes! This is a beginning to change and we need to make sure the change goes in the right direction. When I headed the Asian Pacific American Heritage Month in Aria's School for the first time, Aria walked alot taller since and schooled Aria's predominately African American student body about our contributions to the US.
Post a Comment