Tuesday, May 26, 2009

NO! NO! NOT THE HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

I'd like to talk to you today about the song Happy Birthday. Well, not necessarily about the song Happy Birthday, but the singing of the song Happy Birthday. OK, not just the singing of the song Happy Birthday, but restaurant servers singing the song Happy Birthday.

The other day, my buddy and I were enjoying a meal at the Famous Daves. We're sitting there talking, when we hear that all too familiar, "Haaaa..." We both looked at each other and rolled our eyes.

Folks, I can't stand hearing restaurant servers singing Happy Birthday. Most of them look and sound uninterested. And, it's always out of tune. I'm a musician. It irks me to hear that.

If you are ever out at a restaurant with me around my birthday, don't you dare tell the staff it's my birthday. . . Unless it's at the Lazy Susan Dinner Theatre, where I can hear a rousing rendition of Once A Year Day!

5 comments:

Jim Lawson said...

Just because they are not good singers then they shouldn't join in the celebration? With that logic it stands to reason that just because I'm lousy at sex I shouldn't ...... never mind.

Jim Lawson said...

I wasn't actually saying that I was lousy at sex....I was just using an analogy.

Jim Lawson said...

Okay, here are some references who could comment on my skills:

Irene Ryan - She taught me a lot

Hilary Clinton - There was no talking and my eyes were shut

Ellen DeGeneres - It was more of a friend thing

Shirley Hemphill - Look her up, need I say more?

Elsa Benitez - SI Supermodel

Ladies (and some of you guys), please stop calling me and asking to join me in bed, I'm no longer that kind of guy! I understand your attraction and curiosity and I feel for you but there's only so much of me to go around.

Brandon said...

Antonio your gooding ot hear that song weither or not it's your once a year day!

Sabra said...

I can't believe I forgot that's where I first learned that song! And here I've sung it every day for 8 months on the road...

Jim, your references are even more amazing than your admission.