Monday, January 08, 2007

Do You Want To Ride In My Santa Fe

So, I had a fun evening the other day with my sister who was home for winter break from college. I took her to see a late showing of "Dreamgirls".

Earlier in the evening, she happened to show me her learner's permit. Well I decided to see what she could do behind the wheel. So, after the movie I pulled into a shopping center parking lot near my mom's house and told her to get behind the wheel.

I had to laugh because she was so nervous that she refused to get into the driver seat at first. She had only driven a car once before, and that was a few feet. I was asking her to drive about 1000 feet. She did OK. Under steering, going too slow, breaking hard. But we got home.

It got me thinking though. Maybe it's a girl thing because I remember when I first got behind the wheel, it was like I had been doing it for years. My first time behind the wheel was on a side road during rush hour in driver's ed. class. The instructor said pull onto the road, and I did. And my problem wasn't driving too slow, it was driving too fast.

I guess that came from that young boy fascination with big moving objects like planes and trains and trucks. Whenever I rode in a car, I would watch the driver like a hawk. So it was easy for me the first time I actually drove.

4 comments:

Jim Lawson said...

My Dani has her Learners and she hates to get behinbd the wheel, very scared. I was driving when I was six. What's the deal??

Antonio said...

Ugh! Girls. . .

Gillian said...

My first time driving the instructor made me drive on 495 in rush hour traffic and then drive in downtown Silver Spring...I can't discuss it...

Antonio said...

495?!!!
Rush Hour?!!!
Silver Spring?!!!!

Whoa!!!!!