Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Not So Fast, Save Some Gas

I've been a speeder ever since I first got my license. My last speeding ticket, which was about ten years ago, was for driving 87 in a 55 mph zone. But gas prices these days have caused me to change my ways.

To save money and gas, I've slowed down on the highway, which I've found actually makes a difference. I generally do 60 now (or five above whatever the posted speed limit is). What's funny is that most people around me on the highway don't do the same. There I am in the right lane chugging along while everyone is flying by. Now there are a few others in that right lane also driving slower, but not many. Sometimes I feel like an old man on a Sunday drive. And I think it's funny that I feel like I'm going slow at 6o mph.

I thought the new added violation fees here in Virginia (as much as $1050 for reckless driving, which that 87 mph ticket would have fallen under) would slow people down, but that hasn't necessarily happened.

5 comments:

Mary said...

You are right. I should slow down. I will try.

Antonio said...

Be prepared to feel like an old lady as everyone passes you by :)

Jim Lawson said...

I have made a whole-hearted effort to slow down as I drive. You may want to try what I did.

I removed three of the pistons from my engine and now my care will only go 12 miles an hour. No highway trooper is going to fine me $1,085! Drive Safe!

Anonymous said...

When I lived in the DC area, I thought that the Beltway was the most dangerous road I'd ever traveled speed wise. Of course, most everyone followed the 'pass on the left' notion.

Then I moved to California where not only does everybody speed but they pay no attention whatsoever to the lane they're in or how fast they are going in it.

Antonio said...

Gee Kvatch, I didn't think there could be traffic any worse than in the DC area.