Wednesday, January 02, 2008

The Science Of Gaydar

OK, here's my newest Tyra post.

The other day, she had on Califorinia State University Professor Of Psychology Dr. Richard Lippa, who had done studies on homosexual men and their physical characteristics.

Tyra had six random gay and straight men on stage where, using his research, the professor determined the sexual orientation of each of the men. And, you know what? He got every single one of them right.

He went into the usual stereotypes of effeminate behavior and speech patterns. But, what really stuck out was that he found through his research that, on average, the index fingers on gay men tended to be as long or longer than their ring fingers, whereas on straight men, the ring finger was usually longer.


The professor also pointed out that gay men's hair tended to "whorl" in a counterclockwise direction. Straight men's hair tended to grow in a clockwise direction.


He also found that gays and lesbians had higher rates of being left-handed or ambidextrous.

Now, you know how I like to end on a funny note. Well, here goes. I was at the Capitol City Brewing Company with Ryan and Sucka this past Saturday. I brought up the Tyra show episode. Within minutes, I look up and see that half the people in the bar area have their hands out in front of them checking finger lengths.

4 comments:

Jim Lawson said...

What does it mean when your thumb is longer than you index, middle and ring fingers? Am I a freak?

Jim Lawson said...

Antonio - Did you get the email I sent to you. I think it was bounced back.

Anonymous said...

fascinating!

~S

Mary said...

I love this post!