Andi and I visited the Library Of Congress and took the tour of the Thomas Jefferson Building, which is the building that houses the Main Reading Room. Haven Dwella's, this building is gorgeous. Every inch of the place is filled with artwork. And every piece has a meaning.

Here's an example. This pic includes a statue, carvings, seals, literary quotes, and paintings, and each one means something different. Those cherubs on the stairwell each represent something different all their own.
Here is a pic I took of the magnificent ceiling.

I took this shot of Elihu Vedder's Minerva of Peace for Mary Sog. It's a beautiful marble mosaic that's done in way that, no matter which way you look at it, the feet always face you. Hopefully, you can see the mosaic OK. It was hard to get good light because the room is so vast. And the closer you got to it, the less light there was.

You know, when we entered the building, a security guard told us that we wouldn't actually see any books on the tour. I thought he was kidding. Well, he was right. You get to see the reading room from an observation deck way above the floor, but without a reading pass, the only books you get to see are the ones for sale in the gift shop. Oh well. . .
7 comments:
Security guards suck! How dare tell you that you can't read any books. RUDE!!! The picture are great though. I feel the need to go just to check out the art. I am liking this segments keep them coming. If you ever want company give me a call I'll come if I can.
Wow! What a day. Thanks for sharing it with us!
Antonio - Don't let anyone tell you that you can't read! There are plenty of classes for adults to learn how to read and I will donate my time to work with you. I have no doubt that you can lead a productive and fulfilling life if you put in give a little effort. May God bless you and yours.
I thank you very much Jim because Hooked-On-Phonics didn't work for me.
Antonio I am so jealous and at the same time pleased that you are taking advantage of all the greatness in the area. Thanks for thinking of me. I always like to see a mosaic.
Mary, I should have taken a close up pic so that you could see the detail in the mosaic.
Here's a website that I found that has a better pic of it. It's not close up, but the lighting is much better.
Thanks!
Post a Comment