I went to see Iron Man last night with my good friends Ryan and Bill (great movie by the way). Unfortunately, the theater experience itself wasn't so great. We went to the Kingstowne Cinemas, which has always been one of my favorite theaters (I started going there after the rat sightings at the Hoffman Center Theatres). Until recently, the theater had been owned by a small chain out of Charlotte, NC called Consolidated Theatres. When we went to the theater last night, we found out that Consolidated had been bought by Regal Cinemas and that they had switched over that day. Well, I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, but I wasn't too happy with my visit. Here are a few reasons why:
1) Concession employees and ticket taker didn't seem all that interested in being there.
2) No prices listed for the combos on the concession menu board.
3) $10 for combo #3 - medium popcorn & medium soda (for only 50 cents more, I can get a large and large at AMC)
4) There was lots of trash in the theater.
Now, some of you may be saying, "So, what's the problem? I see that all the time in movie theaters." Well, the problem is, it wasn't like this before the change. In general, I had good experiences at this theater. I will give them another chance. It's possible that, since they just switched over, they may be trying to get used to a new system or something. I most likely won't be buying many concessions there, though. I don't want to have to take out a loan for some popcorn and soda.
BTW, when you all see Dena, make sure you wish her a happy Jewish American Heritage Month. Too bad she doesn't have a blog. She could offer a Jewish facts contest.
6 comments:
Yeah unfortunately all the theatres are like that around here. I haven't gone in YEARS.
I agree with Mary,All theatres are like that around here. I stopped going to Kingstowne Consolidated Theatres NOT for those reasons, BUT it's so filled with teenagers just standing around blocking the entrance of the theatre doing NOTHING!
What the F**K???? JEWISH MONTH?!?!
May is Asian Pacific American Heritage Month! It's MY People's month! When did the Jewish people started taking over MY people's month?!?!
Are you trying to get me fired up????? What's with the Old Town Port Pictures on your heading???? National Harbor, Baby!
Ever since I was a kid the rule was that you were not allowed to bring any food into a movie theater. Of course we'd try to sneak candy in our pockets or something like that. Dani has two friends who used to work at Kingstown Cinema and when they weren't working they would take Dani to the movies for free. One time they went to Safeway first to buy candy and things, Dani said that they can't carry a bag into the theater. Their response was that many people bring food into the theaters and they are never stopped. They have had people bring grocery bags in and sat there eating fried chicken. Stupid me, I felt guilty for bringing a bag of M&Ms.
I may be a little sheltered because I tend to go to the movies at times when you are less likely to find rift-raft, weeknights and and early mornings.
Oh, and I don't want my Alexandria to be left out of those precious tourist dollars because of that damn harbor project.
Kiss it Goodbye, Antonio!
Post a Comment