Thursday, February 14, 2008

Holiday Hogwash

Valentine's Day. . . Ugh. . . What a big commercial racket.

-80 bucks for a bunch of flowers that I would normally be able to buy for half that? Besides, they're gonna be dead in a week anyway.

-Box of chocolates? Great, so I can ruin someone's teeth and make them fat.
-Jewelry? Oh yeah, I want to make some rich CEO even richer and some poor South African even poorer (I saw that movie "Blood Diamond").
-Teddy Bears? Wow, something else to sit on a shelf and collect dust. I mean, what do you actually do with a teddy bear anyway?
-Going out to eat at some expensive restaurant? Hell, I can eat at the McDonalds for next to nothing. Two words: Dollar Menu.

Now, that being said,

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!


Pardon my rant. I guess you can tell that I don't have a Valentine. . .

7 comments:

Krissy Doyle said...

I'll be your Valentine! And, working for the Society of American Florists, I need to say this...Factors Affecting Rose Prices

A simple case of supply and demand

Valentine's Day inspires the heaviest demand for long-stemmed roses, and several rosebuds must be sacrificed to create a single long-stemmed rose.

After the Christmas season demand for red roses is filled, growers need 50-70 days to produce enough roses for Valentine's Day.

Winter's shorter daylight hours and higher energy costs hamper efforts to grow large rose crops.

Inclement weather often requires extreme measures to ensure that flowers are delivered in time.

To fulfill the tremendous number of orders for Valentine's Day flowers, florists have to hire additional help, work longer hours and acquire extra delivery vehicles and drivers.
In short, roses in February are every bit as special as you would expect.

Source: Society of American Florists

Love you my friend! :)

Antonio said...

Thanks Krissy! You're the best. But, in lieu of expensive roses, I'm going to buy you a McChicken sandwhich and two apple pies.

Now, can you tell me what you do with a teddy bear?

Krissy Doyle said...

I don't mind the McChicken Sandwich and two apple pies. As long as it's from you sweetheart! :)

Chris Suchan said...

It is great to see Krissy so passionate about selling flowers :)

Krissy Doyle said...

Chris Suchan - you are a goofball!

Brandon said...

There is a lot you can do with a teddy bear. Instead of buying a teddy bear for your loved one dress up as a teddy bear and so what happens from there.

Mary said...

Man! I am so sorry I have been behind on my blog reading! Brandon your comment is too funny!!!!