Thursday, March 06, 2008

Music Depreciation 101

Do you remember when you were younger? Do you remember when your parents used to listen to that "oldies" music? Do you remember thinking, "I'll never listen to "oldies" when I grow up. I'll always keep up with the latest stuff." I use to say that. Well now I'm older. And, guess what. I'm listening to "oldies" music.

I find that, as I'm getting older, I'm listening to current releases less and less. I sometimes find that I am forcing myself to keep up. I have Sirius Satellite Radio. I also have Music Choice on my cable. Both have every genre you can think of. But, what do I listen to the most? Old school rap, soul oldies, '70s through the '90s, and disco (and showtunes, but that's a different post).

Here's something else I've noticed. Having grown up a black male (believe it or not), most of my music knowledge is of "urban" genres. Now that I'm older, I'm kind of discovering old genres like classic rock and metal. If the speakers on your computer are turned up right now, you'll notice that Time from Pink Floyd's "Dark Side Of The Moon" is playing. Do you know that I had never heard of Pink Floyd until Joey played it one day at the West End in the late '90s.

I'm so square. Do the kids still say that?

8 comments:

Mary said...

I always tune in to Sounds of the 70's on my XM!!!! we're old fogies. I had older sisters that listened to Pink Floyd but I can hardly believe you would have had to have them to have heard of Pink Floyd! I mean I used to love the song "Money" just cause it had the word Bullshit in it. I guess you never turned the dial on your radio. DC 101?

Krissy Doyle said...

Interesting. Kevin and I always say that our songs are always playing on the Oldies station (100.3). We feel old.

Antonio said...

Mary, I remember listening to the Greaseman on DC 101, but whenever he would play music, I'd turn to something else. BTW, "Dark Side Of The Moon" is one of my all time favorite albums. . . oops I mean CDs

100.3? Krissy, I remember when they used to be DJ 100 back in the mid '80s. They played R&B and rap. Then they became Hot 100 with a similar format.

Joey said...

Dark Side of the Moon.

LSO- Them and Us

Pink Floyd

The Who

Little Richard

James Brown

Elvis

The new 'music' isn't 'music'- lots of vocal riffs, studio tweaks, lip synch, etc... The list above is all you need, man. (except a coupla polka albums)

Jim Lawson said...

and coffee and cabbage rolls

Ron Curameng said...

Being the youngest in my family (11 years younger than the brother before me), I grew up on such an eclectic range of of oldies. My parent's played WWII Big Band, The Brat Pack, Lawrence Welk and Elvis on the the 8-tracks, My sister played "The Beatles", "The Mama & the Papas" and "The Cowsills" on LP's, My oldest brother lived between "A Brother" (Afro and all) and Bruce Lee and listened to Benson, Jarreau, Laws, Ohio Players and Parliment. And my brother before me, would listen to the Eagles,Simon & Garfunkle, Starland Vocal Band, Doobie Brothers, and Hank Williams Jr. How the hell did I get into Musicals and Opera...I don't know!

Mary said...

My oldest sister signed a autograph book (remember having those?) I had in elementary school "I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

Joey said...

Ron-

I enjoy my Lawrence Welk fix every Sunday at 2pm on Maryland Public Television- I LOVE IT!!!